Sunday, February 9, 2014

How did it get to be February already?


I've been unforgivably absent from this space for far too long. I promise to put up a nice long thoughtful piece of writing soon, but in the meantime, as winter winds down, and my life is less and less occupied by the making and selling of warm fuzzy accessories, I offer you a nice short thoughtful piece of writing instead. Those of you who follow me on Facebook will have already seen this, but poems, particularly love sonnets, don't really seem to fit well in that medium so I am re-posting here. Enjoy.



Heart Shaped Balloon

Not claimed but not discarded,
here is the heart I took for a walk,
that nearly got crushed in a closing door,
tangled in the branches of a leafless tree.

I had to pull it back from playing in traffic.
Every little wind brought it down and up,
the one red thing in a bleak winter landscape,
floating on a slender silver string

I could have untied at any time,
setting it free. Instead I brought it home
to keep in suspense saying over and over
I LOVE YOU for no one to see but me,

when I lie every night staring up at the ceiling,
holding a space that’s yours for the stealing.

6 comments:

  1. I have missed you, and was only wondering how you were recently.
    I love your poem, but it fills me with melancholy too. You really do have a way with words. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear EC - I am sorry to have filled you with melancholy, but on the other hand that shows what a good reader and friend you truly are, for that was what exactly the tone of voice in which the poem was speaking, so, that makes me happy! This has not been an easy winter, weather-wise and otherwise. In many ways things have improved and hopeful signs are on the horizon, but in other ways, there are still many obstacles to overcome, inner and outer, on a daily basis. But you know all about the good days/bad days sifting process. I think on the whole, I am where I need to be and there is still more joy than grief, more hope than despair. And then I wake up with a poem like this in my head asking to be written. I hope life is treating you well, way more than half the time! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sonnets. This is a delicate, lovely one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Kass. I should now rename this post "how did it get to be March already?" Hope all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always loved your work. This is beautifully written. I have also sent you a mail from my new email id sri@sriarts.net. Please do take a look at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Narayan - or shall I call you Kavin? Yes, I received your email. As you can see my presence on Blogger has been less than regular as well. Much going on. Always wishing you the best! Will reply at greater length to yr email later today.

      Delete